Saturday, July 20, 2013

Baby Shower Project/Gift

I like to consider myself a pretty creative person, hence this blog! BuuuT I've been slacking as of late. This pregnancy has made me so tired and basically... I just really don't want to do anything! Most of you know how that goes!

Anywho, I made this several months ago for my cousin who had her first baby, a little boy whose name you'll see shortly. He's a cutie for sure! It took a while and MANY coats of paint, but I will list everything I used so no worries :)

 Baby James! I used sponge brushes I already had (pictured below on the plate) and got cheap frames from Walmart. No frame was over $6. I got 3 total frames, and 4 total paints. Cheap craft paint from the  craft section. The green one was outdoor craft paint, only because it was the color we wanted. The wooden letters were also just a cheap bag from the craft section. One bag had multiples of most letters so we only got one.

 I took the back and the glass off the frame and covered my work surface with newspaper. I think next time I'd rather use wax paper as the bottom of the painted area stuck to the newspaper in places. 

I used a disposable plate and put 5 coats of white on the darker frame, and 3 coats on the smaller frames. I also put 1 coat of white on all the letters that I used for his name. I let each coat dry for 5 minutes before I put on the next. 

On each smaller frame I put 3 coats of the color paint, I used a different color for each frame. Each letter got 2 coats of color paint, and the darker frame got 4 coats of color paint. 

After letting them dry with a small fan on low pointed at them (for about an hour to ensure it set) I used a hot glue gun add the funness. Yes, I just said funness even though it's not really a word...

I glued his first name on one frame and on a different part of the other smaller frame I glued his middle name. I used similar color buttons in a zigzag pattern along 2 sides of the bigger frame. (I already had them from a while ago, but they were purchased from Robert's Arts and Crafts store)

And this is how it turned out! Cute, huh? I used some of the maternity pictures I took of her (had them printed at Sam's bc the prices are best there) and put those in the frame so they were already ready to be put up in the nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment